click to view
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Viewing the 'Korean government raids Blizzard over alleged Diablo III wrongdoing' thread.

Catwoman

Playing:  FFXIV:ARR, WoW

Korean government raids Blizzard over alleged Diablo III wrongdoing

click to view
    Wow this was thought-provoking for me. I guess it underscores the situations that companies can potentially face when releasing products internationally. Blizzard has its policies, but can be overridden by government law. Same here in the states I know, wherein companies have to adjust to individual state law at times.

But it seems like every launch I've ever been in, there are people wanting refunds, even when a no-refund after purchase policy was clearly stated.

(From Justin Olivetti of Massively):

Blizzard is on the hot seat as the Korean Fair Trade Commission raided the studio's Seoul office to gather evidence as to whether or not Blizzard violated the country's law. The FTC performed the raid due to allegations that Blizzard is refusing to refund players who purchased and were attempting to return Diablo III.

Dissatisfied customers who couldn't log into the game were denied a full refund by Blizzard, which said that it was under no obligation to do so under the game's contract. The studio claims that it has a strict policy of "no refunds" in the country if a product is used.

The players turned to the FTC for help, and the commission responded by launching an investigation. The investigation will sort through the seized documents and evidence to see if there is a possible violation of Korea's electronic commerce and commercial contracts law.

The FTC confirmed that it had received "many complaints" from Diablo III players, but did not comment further on the investigation. Blizzard has since vowed to increase server capacity, but is not budging on the refunds.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Seven For This Useful Post:

Kallikrates (05-31-2012)

Runs With Scissors

Playing:  Warcraft
    Aliases:  Stourm, valyant, Glimmerman
    Actually in the states the government will not override unless you follow the right steps:

1. Complaint to your CC (your complaint must state that the product was broken). Notice: IF you have played the game AT ALL your screwed as you had to agree to their terms of service in order to play (that huge page you click 'OK' on).
    2. Complaint to the company and corporate office. The squeaky wheel gets the oil. VPs and Presidents absolutely hate when you get their number and they may just give you your money back so they dont have to here from you anymore.
    3. In the states this is HUGE: the better business bureau. I recently fought and won a refund with funcom. Once the bbb stepped in within 24 hours I got an email from their corporate with a fair settlement. Don't underestimate the bbb. Most companies in the states that are part of it want to keep a spotless record.

And yes you can get a refund...if the game is broken. But it has to be broken in some way. Just becuase you want a refund is not an excuse. With my funcom issue I had paid for all the bells and whistles (260.00 for lifetime and what not). When I enterred the beta Wish and I spent an HOUR in the same spot with very few people in the same area...and could not see each other/and or switch instances. And we were 'grouped'...just invisible. I asked for a refund for the excess amount I would never encounter (not the game...I played it...fair is fair the 49.99 was theirs per the agreement) ...the lifetime sub and what not. The csrs and managers told me 'nope' and refused to get their bosses. I was hung up on more than once and most of you known I'm a pretty fair guy. I hadnt even yelled or said any 'colorful metaphors'. I was actually being nice. I followed the above steps and got what I wanted.

I can see if they never got past the login screen...that would suck. But if they even played for a minute in game they are done. While they have definetely had their problems the game isn't broken by any means (okay the ah is..) as I have already beaten it on normal mode. Visuals are freekin awesome.

Omg I'm typing and I can't shut up. Somebody gag and bag me

Steppin off the soapbox. Hopefully bliz irons out the stuff and moves on.

<BR>I keep wondering why that frisbee keeps getting closer and closer...and then it hits me :)

Away

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Wow this was thought-provoking for me. I guess it underscores the situations that companies can potentially face when releasing products internationally. Blizzard has its policies, but can be overridden by government law. Same here in the states I know, wherein companies have to adjust to individual state law at times.

But it seems like every launch I've ever been in, there are people wanting refunds, even when a no-refund after purchase policy was clearly stated.
    The blurb from Massively doesn't mention what the South Korean law is. From the Wall Street Journal:

"South Korea’s relevant law guarantees a refund within seven days of purchase if the problem with the product is not caused by a consumer."

If Blizzard wants to do business in another country (and I'm guessing that they do, considering that ~10% of their sales for D3 came from South Korea), they probably ought to figure out a way to follow that country's laws.

-On Hiatus-

Catwoman

Playing:  FFXIV:ARR, WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Averna View Post
    The blurb from Massively doesn't mention what the South Korean law is. From the Wall Street Journal:

"South Korea’s relevant law guarantees a refund within seven days of purchase if the problem with the product is not caused by a consumer."
    Wow, that's broad! (well in the sense that it seems to cover just about everything that could be termed a "product")

And I agree, it's very important to understand the laws of other countries if you plan to do business there :)

Sometimes MMO's are released internationally but only in certain countries; I've wondered why some were excluded, if due to technical reasons or perhaps something akin to this? But a company the size of Blizzard must certainly have a huge legal department, seems like they would have seen this coming.

Playing:  Thumb twiddling
    They could solve the problem quickly by adding an offline mode. Just sayin'.

Away

Many online games specifically say that they are not supported in this region. That's fine for me, as long as they're not IP-locked, since obviously I buy and play the US version, and then the company wouldn't have to deal with these standards. But obviously they'd lose a lot of money from not getting those sales. Some, on the other hand, go so far as to IP-lock their entire game website (STO, I'm looking at you!), which I find rather obnoxious.

-On Hiatus-

DERP?

Blogs
    Playing:  TSW,D3,DayZ,GW2,WoT
    You would think Blizzard would have lots of exp. with dealing with Korea considering Starcraft is the national sport for there.

I have to agree with Blizzard in that just because you dont like a game, you shouldn't get a refund. If the servers were a problem, you would think that in a reasonably short period of time, it would be fixed. Then there's the interpretation of the law.
    IN the funcom case the game hadn't been released yet, so imho the game was *unused* . I don't rmeber anything in the beta saying that this was it..you bought it. The game is much imporved Valiant however. Still hate to see you guys make a decision on the game cause of an early beta. When I beta test i assume problems..how fast they are ironed out are what make me decide on the game for the long term.
    "Life was not a valuable gift, but death was. Life was a fever-dream made up of joys embittered by sorrows, pleasure poisoned by pain ... but death was sweet, death was gentle, death was kind; death healed the bruised spirit and the broken heart, and gave them rest and forgetfulness; death was man's best friend; when man could endure life no longer, death came and set him free."

Runs With Scissors

Playing:  Warcraft
    Aliases:  Stourm, valyant, Glimmerman
    Well that wasn't the only problem I had with the game. There were more things but I just figured I would keep my trap shut because I know that others are enjoying it, which means they probably didnt have the issues I had. But...apparently somewhere in the beta agreement that you click on, it says if you purchased the game and got the beta that way...then you bought the game by clicking 'yes'. I would say that I had the unfortunate luck of running into a couple of reps with no logic skills as I got back what I asked for...which was the extra stuff that I would not be using. I would ask that everyone forms there own opinion of any game and not to let my posts (which are biased and I have to admit made after dealing with folks that gave me a migraine) influence them regarding the game if they can play it and it works for them. By all means if its workin for others then have fun, just didn't work for me (it was unplayable...and scared me since I had forked over so much since I liked aoc).

With Blizzard...ugh!...I will be passing on any other game they put out. I can understand getting hacked in some way without an authenticator...but when I put one on my account...I got hacked again...by the SAME guy/gal. I was just thinking maybe they should have investigated him/her or something? The only games I have ever been hacked with ...are from Bliz. Shame...I really liked the game (D3).

<BR>I keep wondering why that frisbee keeps getting closer and closer...and then it hits me :)

DERP?

Blogs
    Playing:  TSW,D3,DayZ,GW2,WoT

click to view
    I'm sorry to hear that TSW was not to your liking atm Valliant. Maybe after it has been out for a little bit you will give it a try again and the things that turned you off to it will have been fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast