click to view
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Viewing the 'Is it worth it?' thread.

Is it worth it?

click to view
    Thinking of giving this game a try. Is it worth it? Thanks!
    You can't learn no younger!
    Chale Stormchaser - FFXIV

Vagabond

Blogs
    Playing:  Wildstar
    Aliases:  Verusius, Veru, Malphas
    Aye it is very worth it, however they are having serious server issues that is preventing the whole team from being on the same server so you might wanna wait till it clears up.

Playing:  GW2 FFXIV-ARR
    If it were bad, then they probably wouldn't have as many people trying to get in and stay in, ironically.

It is a bit retro .. in MMO mechanics, with some of the newer niceties (instanced gathering nodes, housing - was in FFXI but GW2 doesn't have yet), but other things lack polish (textures are hit and miss, housing not as customizable as even FFXI and certainly not up to Rift/EQ2 level). Past level 15 it is very retro in some mechanics: long GCD, best exp is grouping to level whether open world camp/event grinding (like EQ1, FFXI or GW2) or dungeon grinding (EQ1, Rift). PvP giving exp to grind to level is not in yet. Endgame is dungeon grind. They say they will be adding some things like the textures and a PvP system later. If the sub numbers hold up maybe sooner rather than later.

But the gameplay and leveling system will remain retro. Since I'm old, and have GW2 for my "I'm feeling like dodge-roll today!" experience, that's ok with me. Is that worth waiting for you?
    GW2: Ayawasgi - Ranger, Hechicera Verde - Mesmer, Hechicera Muerte - Necro, Patent Troll - Thief, Cinnamon Sticks - Ele, Tledatsi - Engineer, Polgi - Guard, Gray Macha - Warrior

Handle is in Spanish, say it: H.E.Sarah .. it means enchantress more or less

Playing:  GW2
    I was curious about this also. With all the "free to play" or at least no subscription MMO's now, I thought this would have to really be something spectacular to get money from people.

I like the no subscription games because I don't play enough to justify the monthly fee. The casual gamer that plays for an hour per night after the kids go to bed is charged the same rate as the hard core gamer that logs 10+ hours per day. I miss the good old days where people had to make their own server to play multiplayer...

It depends on what you like. I played XIV, thought it stunk, and was invited to the reborn beta. I played that, and thought they'd made great improvments. Still found it not a game for me. Too bad really, I wanted to enjoy it. That just me, can't say exactly why I didn't like it, just didn't. Too many time sinks for me these days I think. Takes too long to do much, and with my limited play time, I just couldn't see paying for it. YMMV.

Vagabond

Blogs
    Playing:  Wildstar
    Aliases:  Verusius, Veru, Malphas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hechicera View Post
    If it were bad, then they probably wouldn't have as many people trying to get in and stay in, ironically.

It is a bit retro .. in MMO mechanics, with some of the newer niceties (instanced gathering nodes, housing - was in FFXI but GW2 doesn't have yet), but other things lack polish (textures are hit and miss, housing not as customizable as even FFXI and certainly not up to Rift/EQ2 level). Past level 15 it is very retro in some mechanics: long GCD, best exp is grouping to level whether open world camp/event grinding (like EQ1, FFXI or GW2) or dungeon grinding (EQ1, Rift). PvP giving exp to grind to level is not in yet. Endgame is dungeon grind. They say they will be adding some things like the textures and a PvP system later. If the sub numbers hold up maybe sooner rather than later.

But the gameplay and leveling system will remain retro. Since I'm old, and have GW2 for my "I'm feeling like dodge-roll today!" experience, that's ok with me. Is that worth waiting for you?
    And a DX11 client is already in the works

Legendary Collector

Playing:  SWTOR
    Aliases:  Draymos Caediem, Draymos J Cadiem
    I am loving the game so far. Square Enix made alot of improvements since 1.0 version and really has that great epic feel to it. It has old school stuff mixed in with some newer mechanices of GW2 in questing and farming. The visuals and storyline are great. The character creator is quite good. You can make beautiful characters in game. The one problem it had with this new launch was the server issue. But other than not getting to play with whole HFC team right away and logon issues, its a great game. I say give it a try at least.

SWTOR Raiding Characters
    Main: Draymos - Sith Sorceror (Empire Raiding) > Level 55
    Alt: Praediem - Jedi Consular (Republic Raiding) > level 50

Ohm

I say yes it is worth a try but I would wait for now until the new hardware is stood up. Yesterday they said give it a week.

Aliases:  Charney, Fuisce, Uisce, Danislav
    Hello,
    I am a bit irritated, as I pre-ordered and have yet to be able to even create a character with HFC on Leviathon.
    No early release, and certainly not at launch. A few weeks and counting.

I sent rather polite email to support, and was basically saying that for a MMO, or MMORPG, its perhaps a unwise business model to be closing numerous servers to ANY new characters since a few betas before the actual launch. Basically, from my experience, Leviathon was close to new for the last beta, early release, and now well into launch.
    Any change? Eventually? Who knows, this is there email to me :

------------------

Dear Customer,

Regarding your request for technical support. Please find your answer below.

We would like to thank you for continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Since the start of early access on Saturday, August 24th, an enormous amount of users have been logging into the game. As such, the number of users logging in has been increasing at a rate that is much higher than what we had originally anticipated. To ensure that we maintain a quality level of service for everyone, we have been setting restrictions on both the creation of characters as well as adjusting the number of users that are able to log in. We are well aware that these restrictions are a source of frustration for our users who are waiting to play.

To address this matter, we are currently working on introducing new Worlds and enhancing the performance of the login and match making processes on both the Japanese and North American & European data centers. This operation is expected to be completed at the beginning of next week.

Until this operation is complete, we would like to prioritize the quality of service for those who have already purchased the game. Therefore, we are temporarily suspending the sale of the digital download versions of the FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn. Once the operation has been completed, the sale of the digital download version will resume.

While the operation is in progress, we will continue to apply restrictions on both the creation of characters and the ability to log into the game. Through this time, we will be offering constant updates on the progress of the operation.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes our users and humbly request your understanding.

Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

----------

so a few irritating things...the devils is in the details.

So this is not an issues since early start, this was for the entire last beta weekend, the only thing i could get into was a random jp server.
    Implies the solution is new servers...so hell, you may never be even able to join your HFC mates. The only reason I looked at this game was to play with cool HFC'ers...
    They "expect" to get around to this next week.
    Priorities are those that bougth the game? Um...pre ordered it. Feel no priority or urgency at all.
    -edit- and you are chewing into your grace sub period...and this is a sub game. 10 (15?) dollars a month, while they perhaps fix it next week...

I just put a cancel on the order with Amazon, we will see if Amazon cancels before they ship.

-----------

Looked like a cool game.
    Of course, you know you will have solid HFC'ers to play with.
    Just no idea on when, if at all, you will be able to even create a character to join HFC.
    Folks are already well into their 30s I am sure.
    Leviathon is basically an early beta server. Lots waiting to get in...

Comments above, are pretty much all true. Looks like a cool game.
    I just could not stomach the endless character creation page anymore, and gave up.

I look forward to other games with my fab HFC clanmates :)

Happy hunting to those lucky few Levianthon early beta folks that got in :)

Playing:  Injustice (PS3)

click to view
    To be fair, letting everyone on would solve nothing. It would make our server even worse. And by 'adding new servers' he doesnt mean 'adding new worlds' specifically. Yes, they'll be adding worlds, but they're also adding servers to their current worlds infrastructures to allow for more players to play at once on each world. At least that was my understanding. The servers are apparently installed and they plan to test them this weekend in-house, for a release early next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast