click to view

View Poll Results: Approve or Decline c0c0c0's application.

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, approve this application.

5 100.00%
  • No, deny this application.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Viewing the 'c0c0c0 Join! - Lord of the Rings Online 07-16-2012{Approved}' thread.

Zen Chill Dude

Playing:  LOTRO | GW2 | TSW
    Aliases:  Farodur | Aedin | Graeskye

c0c0c0 Join! - Lord of the Rings Online 07-16-2012{Approved}

click to view
    Today's Date
    • 07-16-2012
    Please tell us your gaming name.
    • Farodur
    Which one of our gaming teams do you currently have the most interest in joining initially?
    • Lord of the Rings Online
    Do you belong to any other guilds for the game in which you are applying?
    • No.
    Have you read our Code of Conduct, Forum Rules and agree to abide by them?
    • Yes
    Please tell us your age.
    • 41-50
    Do you have any relatives or friends currently active within the Hammerfist community, or were you recruited by someone? If so, who?
    • Nope.
    What region of the country/world do you live in?
    • Atlanta
    Besides English, do you speak any other languages?
    • Spanish
    How did you hear about us?
    • Gaming Forum
    Is there a name you can associate with the above question?
    • The Brandywine forum on the LOTRO official site
    We like to have fun, how's your sense of humor? Not so good? Good? You're a standup comedian you say?
    • I'm a freakin' riot.

Actually, I have a pretty dry sense of humor. Reducing sarcasm to a civil level is a constant personal growth goal for me, but I'm usually successful in a public setting.

This is a game, not a job, so it's all about the fun, isn't it? The moment something seems more like an obligation than a diversion, I should probably be doing something else.
    What was it that made you choose us over those other guilds?
    • I like the focus on casual and mature players. Because that's what I am. I also like that you have representation in both games I intend to be playing (LOTRO and GW2). I've dropped out of other guilds because I failed minimum participation requirements when I inevitably became bored with game X and left to play game y for a while. Shouldn't be a problem with this guild.
    What games have you played if any:
    • LOTRO
      GW (40/50 HOM)
      GW2 (Beta tester)
      DDO (meh)
      Innumerable single player RPGs
    How do you rate your Mumble/Ventrilo/Teamspeak use?
    • 3. Occasional - When I'm not eating Funyuns.

Please tell us a little about yourself, aside from gaming. Perhaps some hobbies, about your work, favorite story etc.
    • I really like Funyuns. But they scratch the roof of my mouth, give me horrible breath, and get cruft all in my keyboard.

I'm a family man, an IT nerd, and a gamer. That plus sleep is about 99% of what I'm focused on. Outside of gaming, my "hobbies" typically consist of playing with technical tools and gizmos, like writing AutoHotKey scripts (not the cheatin' kind), or applying custom ROMs to my phones. I run an IT department but when I'm not worried about uptime on my day job, I've done F/OSS development for applications like Drupal.

My wife is my exact opposite and possibly the only reason why I ever go outside. It's a healthy thing, but if I ever have to leave the game due to a "IRL emergency", it's probably her. The kids are pretty much like me and won't log off for anything other than dinner or dire threats. Come to think of it, I'm a pretty bad example.

I like the emphasis on the lack of drama in your "terms and conditions". This is a game and nobody needs to be getting angry with anyone when we're all supposed to be enjoying ourselves. I'm just looking for a bunch of mates to share the game with. Share jokes, advice, extra mats, and the occasional impossible-without-a-fellowship quest.

I hope you folks are it.
    Enter the extra-credit phrase:
    • I love HFC 5
    And last but not least, do you have any questions for us?
    • Nah. All in due time.

MMO Diva

Playing:  TSW-WoW
    Greetings CoCo Gray / Farodur.

Glad you decided to put an app in. The LoTRO team is great and you'll enjoy them & the GW2 team is going to be fantastic!

Q&A:
    What are three activities your wife does that you "don't" get?

Do you think they should add mounts to GW2? (Mounted combat in LoTRO looks fun)

You mentioned sharing mats, so you craft, right? What professions do you enjoy in either game?
    "Life is one of the toughest teachers.
    It gives you the test first and the lesson after."

"Tell me with whom you walk and I will tell you who you are"

Zen Chill Dude

Quote Originally Posted by ziboo View Post
    What are three activities your wife does that you "don't" get?
    Aw, man - can you promise she'll never see this? Umm...
    1. She's a runner. Does it even if bears aren't chasing her. It boggles me.
    2. She likes to cook for her family. Even though at least one of them is going to not like it and say so. Matches with my thing for eating, so I don't complain.
    3. She sells handbags on the side for this quasi-religious group. Takes all kinds of time, the people are odd, and the money is meh. I'd rather be poorer with more time on my hands.

Do you think they should add mounts to GW2? (Mounted combat in LoTRO looks fun)
    You know, it might be nice but with all the fast travel in the game, I don't think I'd miss it. I find in LOTRO that riding makes me miss a lot of potentially lucrative encounters. I should add that the mounted fighting news that just came out today may change my level of interest once I learn more about it. They have have actually done some smart stuff there.

You mentioned sharing mats, so you craft, right? What professions do you enjoy in either game?
    I play an explorer on my main, and I don't play alts enough to mention. And I wouldn't actually say I "enjoy" crafting. I do it for gear and cash, but I think it may be one of the least fun aspects of LOTRO. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but there is nothing like banging on a stack of iron for 10 minutes to make your eyes glaze over. I think what GW2 has done with crafting is definitely a step in the right direction, but I don't see much room for LOTRO to borrow from that. Maybe steal the way repeated tasks speed up. That would be reeeeal nice.

You mention "either game" - it's funny but I find myself following the same path in GW2. I do the leather crafting one, which operates in a similar way. Over a couple BWEs, I can't say I've done enough crafting to know if I'll like it, but it certainly moves faster.

Catwoman

Playing:  FFXIV:ARR, WoW
    Greetings, Gray!

What class did you pick in LotRO for your main, and what drew you to it?

Coffee or Tea?

Zen Chill Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    What class did you pick in LotRO for your main, and what drew you to it??
    Hunter, because it is the closest to Aragorn and the rangers, whom I have idolized since my dad read LOTR to me. I've always played variations of this class, even in pen & paper RPGs. I like the flexibility of the archetype. Not too squishy, not too tanky. Just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Coffee or Tea?
    Coffee. By a quarter mile. I live for the stuff.

The Lord of the Pies

Blogs
    Playing:  SW:TOR, WoW, TSW
    Aliases:  Trypp, Ston'e, Brykk (SW:TOR)
    Hello c0c0c0... er Gray and welcome!
    Just a few more questions from little ol' me.

To follow up the coffee question, cream and/or sugar (or substitute)?
    What tips would you give to a new(ish) LoTRO player?
    And lastly, what was the last movie or show you remember seeing at a theater?

100 Warrior Steelbull
    91 Mage Ignezzio
    58 Rogue Stealbull
    31 Hunter Kelulilembu
    21 Monk Grumtaror

Ham'mer Legacy
    55 Sith Assassin Ston'e
    55 Pub Vanguard Brykk

55 Imp Operative Trypp

55 Sith Warrior Stee'l
    38 Pub Smuggler Balpi'in
    Alan "Steelbull" Lomax
    Hammers, Shotguns

60 Warrior Steelbull
    46 Mage Butterkreme
    43 Rogue Remy
    26 Cleric Ganache

Zen Chill Dude

Hiho, Steelbull!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelbull View Post
    To follow up the coffee question, cream and/or sugar (or substitute)?
    I'm prolly gonna lose points on this one, but I totally girl it up. I put so much sugar and cream in my coffee, it ought to come with an umbrella. It's not that I'm trying to cover up the natural taste or anything like that. I just like hot, coffee flavored ice-cream!

What tips would you give to a new(ish) LoTRO player?
    Well, the fist thing would be to shop around for a friendly guild and ask a lot of questions. There's a lot going on with this game and it would be too easy to wander around in confusion, not really having a great time, when a few simple questions could clear it all up.
    I'd tell them not to hesitate to make the UI and controls more comfortable to their preferences and playing style. Like assigning familiar keys for select closest, auto-attack if that's how other games they are comfortable with worked.
    I'd tell them that the game can be grindy at times, which is okay when you're tired and just want to mash buttons, but to to never let it feel like an obligation. I've done that in the past, and I let it drive me away. Now I step away from the Deed grinds when it starts getting boring and go off to explore or quest.
    Finally, I'd tell them that, after they've beaten their heads up against an issue long enough that it ceases to be a challenge and starts turning into an annoyance, return to the first post. Therein lies sanity.

And lastly, what was the last movie or show you remember seeing at a theater?
    I'm a bit too hyper to sit through most TV shows, much less a movie. I think the wife begged me to take the kids to Indiana Jones 4 when it came out. Not a bad movie at all, but it drove me nuts just sitting there. I tend to do most of my watching, and I don't do much, at my PC where I can hit a pause button when I get twitchy.

Playing:  - GW2 -
    Aliases:  Altha, Althea
    Hi and Welcome to the HFC Forums-

Just from reading your initial application, it seems like you'd be happy here from a few key things you've said.

Cream and sugar?!? ( I kid ) Can't be as bad as the time I road with my Aunt and Uncle to a funeral and we stopped by their local Starbucks, wherein the drive-thru knows them by name. By the time the smoke cleared with all of their extra low fat sugar free extras, and my 'crowbar' - a double macchiato with extra espresso shots - the bill was astronomical. I looked at them and said, Jeeze, Four shots each of sugar free chocolate syrup? Why not a chocolate and coffee milkshake from Dan's? ( the local cheeseburger drive-in )

A lot of nice Q&A so far, I really don't have any further questions. If you're welcomed from another LotRO player or two, you seem like a great addition to me.

Zen Chill Dude

Hi, Altha,

Thanks for the thumbs up! Maybe I'll see you over the BWE.

I catch some flack from manlier coffee imbibers, but I do strive to keep my Starbucks orders under 8 syllables.

The Lord of the Pies

Blogs
    Playing:  SW:TOR, WoW, TSW
    Aliases:  Trypp, Ston'e, Brykk (SW:TOR)

click to view
    I like cream and sugar in my coffee as well, the amount depends on the quality of the coffee. The free coffee at work is horrendous!

I like the LoTRO tips. I never leveled very far in LoTRO back when I first tried it years ago, but I have contemplated giving it another try. There's just too many games to play these days!

100 Warrior Steelbull
    91 Mage Ignezzio
    58 Rogue Stealbull
    31 Hunter Kelulilembu
    21 Monk Grumtaror

Ham'mer Legacy
    55 Sith Assassin Ston'e
    55 Pub Vanguard Brykk

55 Imp Operative Trypp

55 Sith Warrior Stee'l
    38 Pub Smuggler Balpi'in
    Alan "Steelbull" Lomax