click to view

View Poll Results: Approve or Decline Siltoneus's application.

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, approve this application.

10 100.00%
  • No, deny this application.

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Viewing the 'Siltoneus Join! - Lord of the Rings Online [APPROVED] - Example' thread.

Playing:  GW2, LOTRO, DDO

Siltoneus Join! - Lord of the Rings Online [APPROVED] - Example

click to view
    Today's Date
    • 08-21-2011
    Please tell us your gaming name.
    • Siltoneus
    Which one of our gaming teams do you currently have the most interest in joining?
    • Lord of the Rings Online
    Do you belong to any other guilds for the game in which you are applying?
    • Tantric Tankers. A two person kin my wife and I started.
    Have you read our Code of Conduct, Forum Rules and agree to abide by them?
    • Yes
    Please tell us your age.
    • 41-50
    Do you have any relatives or friends currently active within the Hammerfist community, or were you recruited by someone? If so, who?
    • No.
    What region of the country/world do you live in?
    • Midwest, USA
    Besides English, do you speak any other languages?
    • None
    How did you hear about us?
    • Gaming Forum
    Is there a name you can associate with the above question?
    • Mikk_MGZ (started the Thread on LOTRO Brandywine Kinships).
    We like to have fun, how's your sense of humor? Not so good? Good? You're a standup comedian you say?
    • Good sense of dry humor. Laugh a lot, usually at myself. A good example of my favorite humor would be Monty Python.
    What was it that made you choose us over those other guilds?
    • Was looking for a fun, mature guild without a lot of drama. The post on the "Brandywine Kinship" forum was clear, to the point and exactly what I was looking for ((w/h)aggro: who here hasn't had it).
      I take a bit of time before making any decision, and I investigated three or four kins on Brandywine before making a move. From what I can tell, externally of course, Hammerfist Clan players appear to be mature, socially active, helpful and out to have fun ( I mean really, isn't that the reason we play games?). After watching the number of players on for the last couple of weeks (evenings CST), there were usually between 6-12 players, which is large enough to not get boring, but not so large as to get lost in the shuffle.
    What games have you played if any:
    • Been a lifelong RPG fanatic going back to Expert Set of Dungeons and Dragons in 1981/82.* Played my way through a set of different PnP games, with AD&D (pre Wiz of Coast Buyout) and Rolemaster (Shadow World) being my favorites.* Mud'ed some, MOO'ed very little, and mostly played stand alone RPG's (Might and Magic Series, Wizardry, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Oblivion, etc..) through a set of C128,* Amiga* and Windows machines.* Got married, and continued playing various multiplayer games with her (Diablo and others come to mind).* Started playing my first MMO (DDO - Dungeons and Dragons Online) about two years ago, and my wife joined me about 6 months after that.* Found a nice guild to play with, and absent one or two bouts of drama everything's been cool.* However, a gaming environment can get stale, so I followed my wife over to LOTRO, and enjoy it a great deal. We still play DDO a little, but like the newness and sheer wealth of quest options in LOTRO.
    How do you rate your Ventrilo/Teamspeak use?
    • 1. Never - What is this Vent you speak of?

Please tell us a little about yourself, aside from gaming. Perhaps some hobbies, about your work, favorite story etc.
    • (*) Vent note: Never used either Vent or Teamspeak, and frankly until looking into Kins, never really knew such a thing existed (or needed to exist). I use voice chat exhaustively, but always the in game provided ones.

Mid-40's IT worker, located in Kansas City, MO. Spent 4 years in the Army (Mil. Intel), but realized that my personality and their expectations were incompatible. Left, got my Bachelors and then my Masters, all the while working for the US Postal Service. Left the USPS in the mid 00's, and am very happy at my current job. They are good people, and I get to "play" all day with networking, programming, hardware and software maintenance (although IT security has been my major focus lately).

11 years married to a beautiful wife, and we have a lovely daughter (8), who just entered 3rd grade. One dog (Calliope), two cats, and a pile of fish. Get to play LOTRO/DDO in the evenings, a little on weekends, although ( as we all know) RL always comes first. We have a nice library in our home, and I like to read, but frankly I find I don't have the time like I used to.
    Enter the extra-credit phrase:
    • I love HFC 42
    And last but not least, do you have any questions for us?
    • Not at the moment.

Playing:  Neverwinter Foundry
    Hey Siltoneus. LOTRO's a fine game. I brought a Burg up to 65 on Nimrodel then bailed when it embraced microtransactions. Anyway, my Q's:

1. What would you do if you discovered that a guildie was botting and selling gold? Assume that this is someone that you're pretty tight with.

2. What would you do if a guildie was just acting like a total douche--saying offensive stuff in /trade, booting someone from the end of a PUG run to bring in a friend for the last boss, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Hey Siltoneus. LOTRO's a fine game. I brought a Burg up to 65 on Nimrodel then bailed when it embraced micro-transactions.
    Yea, I know how you feel. I started with DDO just after it went Free To Play (F2P), and the whole “Micro-Transaction” (MT) stuff does stick in my craw a bit. However, I am intrigued by the changing stance Turbine has been taking on the whole MT changing as they get more used to it. There are some significant differences between DDO and LOTRO and the way the two Turbine run games handle them. LOTRO has a lot more in-game Turbine Point awards, but you need them more. In DDO, you get few TP awards, but you need them less. Well.. enough of that.

Anyway, my Q's:

1. What would you do if you discovered that a guildie was botting and selling gold? Assume that this is someone that you're pretty tight with.
    You know, that's a pretty serious incident, and something I don't hope to ever come across. That said, it offends me on a number of points:
    A) Firstly: It's explicitly against the guild “Code of Conduct” and by breaking it, they have broken their word with the other guild/team members. We voluntarily agree to those rules and code of conduct, and the only thing that will keep them worth anything is to have everyone voluntarily, happily abide by them. Otherwise they are not worth the screen real-estate they are typed on.
    Secondly: It has the potential to become a major Drama event for the guild, even for those “uninvolved”, because it involves the good name of the Guild/Team. It can't be tolerated.
    First thing I do is take it up with them, privately (not in guild chat, or on an open voice channel). If my suppositions are correct, it gives the person a chance to change their behavior, and voluntarily inform the officers of their misbehavior. Yes, sanctions or repercussions could occur.. however, that's up to them to determine. If this course of action fails, and the behavior does not stop, then I am bound to take the knowledge of the behavior to the Officers, along with the knowledge that it's been tried to be addressed privately to no avail.

2. What would you do if a guildie was just acting like a total douche--saying offensive stuff in /trade, booting someone from the end of a PUG run to bring in a friend for the last boss, etc.
    First off, the guild aims to be a mature, fun place to play. This proposed behavior is neither. Secondly, it's against the voluntarily agreed to conduct code of the guild, namely Respect, Honor/Integrity and Fair Play. So, I find that my actions in response would be similar to the actions I would take in Question 1: Take it up with them personally, and if their behavior didn't change, take it up with an Officer.

Not to beat a dead horse, but both questions are examples of a player breaking their promise to abide by a set of rules/guidelines. We aim to have fun with the game, and these rules and conduct guidelines are there to help ensure that everyone has an equal opportunity to have fun and enjoy themselves. We agree to be bound by these rules when we join the guild/team, and if we break those rules, we should expect to be bound by the repercussions as well. We know that when we sign up, and we should know it as we play the game. I would assume for most of us, these rules are nothing more than common sense, and take virtually no effort to abide by. However, peoples minds do change, and they should a) have the good sense to leave the guild before it becomes an issue or b) be bound by their word and change their behavior, or have to leave the guild. After all, you can't have it both ways: be a member of the guild/team AND disregard the rules. Confusion, drama and dissolution inevitably follow.

Thanks for the questions. They helped clarify my own thinking on the topic, something I hadn't really thought about very deeply before.

Welcome to the forums!

Regarding Ventrilo, are you opposed to it or are you just stating that you've solely utilized the in game voip?
    What class(es) are you currently playing? What's your favorite?
    What professsion(s) are you playing? Favorite?
    Name 3 of your all time favorite movies.

Look forward to your respsones! :)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Swijr View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

Regarding Ventrilo, are you opposed to it or are you just stating that you've solely utilized the in game voip?
    Appreciate the welcome, thanks.

Ventilo: No, not opposed to it, just never have used it. Frankly I find the concept intriguing, although I'm sure it will take a while for me to figure out how to manage the various conversations (channels? rooms?). I've got the client downloaded and ready to install, and found a really nice walk-thru on another kin's website on how to install it. Might have to tweak my firewall some to allow it through, but don't see anything too cumbersome.

What class(es) are you currently playing? What's your favorite?
    I have five: Halfling Guardian (lv31), Human Hunter (20), Elven RuneKeeper (20), Dwarven Minstrel (14), and a Human Champion. Since I mostly run with my wife, we tend to play complimentary toons (my Guardian, her Minstral; her Loremaster, my Champion).
    Which one I like? I find my Runekeeper and Guardian are my favorites. Hunter is kinda fun, but is waaay easy to level, and I miss the easy flow of the game. It's interesting though that I tend to like to play Cleric/Healer types in other games, but I can't stand my Minstrel and am not sure why. The Champion is fun, but seems kinda.... blah. I've been thinking of rolling up a Warden and Captain, but haven't got the gumption up yet.

What professsion(s) are you playing? Favorite?
    Tinker, Explorer x 2, Woodsman, Armourer. Favorite is Tinker, simply for the ability to make jewelry. Lots of Jewelry slots, and it's nice to be able to fill them without shelling out the $$$ in the AH. Plus, it's not too bad running around gathering ore, especially given the prices you can get on the AH for some of it.

Name 3 of your all time favorite movies.
    The Usual Suspects
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (even given some glaring flaws).
    Monty Python: The Quest for the Holy Grail.

Thanks for the questions Steve. Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Siltoneus View Post
    The Usual Suspects
    The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (even given some glaring flaws).
    Monty Python: The Quest for the Holy Grail.
    Regardless of the good LOTRO answers, I'm voting yes for this application based on these choices alone. ;)

Steve

Love the reponses!

It seems you already know how to find which of us is on, so send someone a tell and see if they can't put you in touch with an officer. We can get you an invite into the kin as a recruit and see how things go. I am typically on in the evenings after about 8CST up to about 11:30. I might be on a bit later tonight as kids start school tomorrow and I might end up having to get backpacks filled and lunch bags filled before I log in.

Baradain - 85 Captain - WMK Scholar, Hamorin - 85 Guardian - WMK Metalsmith, Curufyn - 85 Burglar - WMK Tailor, Aeldros - 85 Hunter - WMK Woodworker, Barldoc - 85 Minstrel - RSK Cook, Beleglor - 85 Warden - WMK Jeweler

I'll be online later this evening as well after I finish up the obligatory running around to practices and such and once homework is done...by my kids, not me. ;)

Steve

Comic No0b

I'm impressed, yes from me.

click to view
    I appreciate the kind words from everyone and look forward to running with you. Unfortuantely I doubt I'll be on tonight though... My daughter has a 'back to school' night (she started last Monday), and we volunteered to help out at the school to keep the other kids occupied while the parents talk with the teachers. After that, I promised to help out a family member with an infected PC they are dropping by the house. I'm sure it's a Bootkit (a Rootkit that loads at system load from the MBR), so I'll be up to my neck in boot CD's and AV software till all hours. =(

I will promise to look you up tomorrow night though. Cleared my schedule, and once my daughter gets to bed I'll log in with Siltari (my Runekeeper) as that's the one I seem to enjoy running with so much lately.

Thanks again everyone, and have a great afternoon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast